An expository essay is the broadest category of essay writing; while some students don’t have any trouble composing such types of work, others may feel stuck at the very start – topic choice. No panic! We have some simple explanations and handy topics for you to make the composition process easier.
Table of Contents
What Is an Expository Essay?
In the simplest terms, an expository essay type is meant for explaining or describing something. It does not contain any persuasion or argumentation, and is usually associated with simple expression of a student’s opinion about some subject, situation, work of art, or activity.
How to Write this Essay?
The basic steps for quick and effective expository essay writing include:
- Choosing the topic of interest
- Producing a detailed outline (containing the major elements such as a thesis statement, contents of each paragraph, and the conclusion at which you are planning to arrive)
- Writing the first draft and revising it
- Making the final draft and asking a peer for review
- Submitting the essay to the supervisor.
In terms of structure, an expository essay also follows a traditional structure typical for many other types of essays:
- Make a statement of your topic; remember that it should raise some ideas, introduce some perspectives, or share your individual viewpoints but in a non-argumentative way.
- Here, you add flesh to the bones of your introduction – divide your evaluation of the chosen subject into meaningful parts and speak about each of them at length in separate paragraphs.
- This is the culmination of your essay; restate the key ideas of your essay and refer them to the broader context to which it belongs.
Great Expository Essay Topics
The sky is the limit to your creativity! Use this list of excellent topics for your supervisor to remember your essay for a long time.
- What does life success mean to you?
- What are three possessions that you regard the most important in your life?
- What is your secret of time management?
- What personal attributes do you regard as instrumental for achieving life success?
- Do nutrition habits change while living a college life?
- Are you prone to impulse buying? Why does it happen, in your opinion?
- Why is there homelessness? What does being a homeless mean for you personally?
- What are the reasonable causes for a teen to flee from the house?
- Which factors contribute to some people’s ability to overcome unfortunate life circumstances and become successful?
- Is there a real climate change? Or is the problem too politicized and exaggerated?
Good Expository Essay Topics
There are so many topics to explore with expository essays; choose the one you like the most and advance your writing grades with our advice:
- Which three books have influenced you as a personality most?
- What is the major goal for you for the next 5 years of life?
- What reasons for a marital breakup do you regard reasonable?
- What features should your ideal roommate possess?
- What are allergens and allergies? Why do you think allergy is on the rise nowadays?
- Would you be able to make friends with a robot?
- What is genetic cloning? Is it connected with positive or negative social changes?
- How can human cruelty be addressed?
- Do you believe in the real value of psychotherapy? Give reasons.
- Do you think xenophobia is still existing in the USA, and what can be done with it?
Expository Essay Topics 8th Grade
8th-graders are also often tasked with writing – find a topic to your liking to succeed:
- Tell about the most influential person in your life
- What features do you think distinguish a true friend?
- Which system of academic assessment do you consider more informative – the letter-grade one or the fail/pass one? Give reasons.
- Do you consider it fair to urge people to pay for music and videos from the Internet?
- Which animals symbolize which human properties, in your opinion?
- Which three places in the world do you dream of visiting?
- What does being a hero mean to you? Who is your hero?
- Do you like camping?
- Who is a perfect pet for you? In which way should it be chosen?
- What have you managed to learn from experience?
College Expository Essay Topics
Once you get to college, the task of writing expository essays becomes your daily necessity, check the following list of suggestions for excellent writing and grades:
- Which is the most serious problem your city/town/community is facing?
- Which personality traits do you consider most appealing in people?
- In which way do you think your generation differ from the older one?
- What causes depression in college students in your opinion?
- Which is the best tactic for obtaining the college scholarship?
- Discuss some reasons that made you choose a particular specialty
- Why do you think people forget things? Do you have such a problem?
- What are the primary causes of obesity in your opinion?
- Which are the best ways of detecting and punishing domestic abuse, in your opinion?
Easy Expository Essay Topics
Not all of us wish to stick to writing brilliant, complex pieces of expository writing. If you want to complete the task simply and quickly, select one of the topics here:
- What is the impact of any member’s substance abuse on the family?
- Should juveniles be judged differently from adults for similar crimes?
- Do you think inmate education can help reduce the rates of recidivism?
- What should you leave at home when you are going to college?
- Do you think uninsured people should have the same access to medical treatment as insured individuals have? Give reasons.
- Why do you think women live with men who abuse them?
- What was your first work experience? What skills and life knowledge have you derived from it?
- What were the consequences of WW II for the USA?
- Who do you think we should blame for the terror and genocide acts of the 20th century?
- Which hobbies do you consider harmful?
Middle School Expository Essay Topics
In middle school, expository essays are a frequent assignment. We have compiled a short but helpful list of topics you may find useful:
- What ways of preventing bullying do you think are most effective?
- What effect does technology have on school studies?
- Do you think aliens really exist?
- Would you like to be a genius? Why or why not?
- How do you think playing games affects modern children? What effect do you personally feel?
- Which films do you like to watch most? What does that give to you?
- How does your school environment affect your development?
- Have you ever been betrayed by anyone?
- How do you spend your free time?
- What is the occupation of your dream?
High School Expository Essay Topics
Expository writing is graded differently in high school, so the topics should also become more insightful and analytical for you to guarantee good grades. Choose the one you like and complete an excellent paper:
- What is good and bad about materialism?
- What impact does, in your opinion, the Internet have on human communication?
- Do you think space exploration should be continued? Why or why not? Give reasons.
- Which causes of environmental pollution are preventable, in your opinion?
- Which is the greatest technological achievement of the 20th century?
- Which discovery would you like the humanity to make in the near future? Which social implications do you associate it with?
- Do you think cancer is curable? Why does cancer scare people so much if there are medications and solutions?
- Why do some children constantly involve in fights?
- What does it mean to be a child of an alcoholic? Which aspects of a child’s life does it affect, in your opinion?
- Which three things would you like to change in the modern society? Which improvements will this change bring about?
Good luck with composing your best expository essay ever! Use our topics and write excellent essays for highest grades – or order essays from our writing experts to achieve maximum from your studies.